Thursday, March 10, 2011

My Daily Literary Sustenance

...is non-negotiable as far as I'm concerned.

But not just any old food can spark the engine that drives my imagination.  What I need...in fact, what I crave, is the challenge of an intelligently crafted plot.  Realistic dialogue, and engaging characters that stay with me long after I've marked the page and the closed the book (or powered down my Nook) ...not to mention the thrill of being introduced to new and exceptional authors uniquely skilled in the use and presentation of the Language Arts.

I'm definitely not talking about Fast Food consumption here.  What I want is the really, REALLY good stuff.  The type of discriminating, gastro-literary treat that would easily be on par with Momma's made-from-scratch Peach Cobbler and Coconut Cake.  Or Copper River Salmon shipped in fresh from the Pacific Northwest, drizzled with Lemon Butter and Capers while it's still hot on the Grill.  Or how about some Artisan, hand-made chocolates; like the ones you can get from Ayza on West 31st near Madison Square, served up with a 71' Dalva Porto Colheita?

Sounds good, right?..and trust me, it all tastes good too.  And when it comes to the stuff I read (and aspire to write), my number one goal is to experience and produce content that leaves me feeling satisfied, nourished and refreshed; extremely grateful for the experience, and looking forward to that next opportunity to indulge every facet of my creativity.

...and as recent luck would have it, I was thusly blessed.

After a lengthy evaluation, I made the decision to go completely electronic and picked up a Barnes & Noble Nook - a Christmas gift from me to me - and since then, I've set out on a furious pace digesting new books.  Embarking on that next great read is just a few "clicks" away, and with the added exposure to Discussion Groups and other Book Shelves through my Shelfari Account, I've had some really excellent options from which to choose.  If I didn't have to work or sleep, I could do more, but right now I'm on track to knock out somewhere around 50 Novels this year...compared to the 37 I completed in 2010.  What follows is a list of some of the 2011 titles that have stuck with me so far - plus a few brief comments to leave you with my overall impressions.  For a full scale review, Amazon, BN.com, Shelfari, or any number of Author/Publisher Web Sites can more than adequately provide the detailed 411.

In the meantime, here's a summary of my most salient thoughts:

DISCRETION
This novel was poignant and compelling.  With Discretion, Elizabeth Nunez gives us a provocative take on the meaning of true freedom, and (through the protagonist's eyes) hints at a distinction between discretion and truth.  She employs lyrically descriptive prose to pull the reader into the character's internal struggles over what they can and cannot have...and what they have, and think they want.  I first met Ms. Nunez at a panel discussion, and later during a reading of her latest novel, Anna In-Between, at the 2009 Brooklyn Book Festival, and since that time she has remained one of my favorites.  In Discretion, I've discovered another masterpiece that will stay with me for some time to come.

THE TRUE HISTORY OF PARADISE
In The True History of Paradise, Margaret Cezair-Thompson offers the reader a searing glimpse into that tumultuous period of Jamaican History, when the Island was struggling to break free of the constraints of its colonial past, and face the challenges that come with true independence and self-governance; all this, while absorbing the demands of competing internal visions for the country's future, juxtaposed against those of its West Indian neighbors and the not so subtle efforts of the super-power West, to protect what were considered to be its "vital interests".  The narration is delivered on a grand scale, embracing a multi-ethnic (and generational) presentation that further clarifies the meaning of "Out of Many, One People".

BLUES DANCING
In this literary gem from Diane Mckinney-Whetstone, incredibly rich and moving characters leap from the page to take the reader on a West Philadelphia journey through the highs and lows of their dreams, foibles and untapped potential.  Blues Dancing is a story of enduring love, exploring what happens when we test the boundaries of friendship, as well as the challenge of navigating the complex and unpredictable dynamic of human relationships.  This was my first gift from Ms. McKinney-Whetstone, and now I'm anxious to add more of her works to my bookshelf.

GRACE
Well, after completing Grace, my growing admiration for Elizabeth Nunez has erupted into a full blown crush, and I was impressed with how deftly she weaved such a compelling tale about one couple's attempts to confront the challenge of their divergent opinions over what constitutes stability, happiness and fulfillment in their respective careers.  The backdrop for much of their marital discord is colored by the cultural differences that have shaped their respective upbringings: she an optimistic and creative African-American mother and Kindergarten teacher; and he, a socially traditional, Ivy League PhD graduate of West Indian (Trini) descent. This holds particular resonance for me, since the majority of my blog posts (not to mention a consistent theme underpinning the dramatic thread of my first novel, Sangster Fi' Manley), are presented with this premise in mind. Ms. Nunez is ALWAYS a treat, and this sprinkling of her literary talents was no exception.

UNBURNABLE
All I can say about this one is WOW!  With Unburnable, Marie-Elena John exposes the reader to a haunting and beautiful story about one woman's search to understand herself and her past - the love that was denied her, the love she squandered and the desperate actions she will undertake in a last ditch attempt to reclaim all that has nearly been lost.  Unburnable's imagery is at once disturbing and compelling, and the exquisite prose and fantastic descriptions of Dominica's lush, tropical surroundings and cultural heritage left me thirsting for more.

SATISFY MY SOUL
This was my first Colin Channer novel, and I loved taking the literary return-trip to Jamaica that he offers...particularly via Portland Parish and the hillside cottages, panoramic vistas and immediate area surrounding Rafter's Rest where my wife and I exchanged our wedding vows.  Lyrical and lush, the novel reads like one big poem.  Channer has a distinctive and commanding voice, with a style (in my opinion) that is somewhat reminiscent of Eric Jerome Dickey.  In Satisfy my Soul, he did a good job of juggling the presentation of the psyches of several complex and troubled characters with overall believable effect, and I look forward to sampling more works from this talented author.

Just a few observations and recommendations... from this Yank's perspective.